Please find below our latest update.
The Interclub was held a few weeks back and I am very happy to see that participation in C Grade and D Grade were at capacity with 10 Teams entered in both grades. However, what made me most proud at this year’s Interclub was the number of female entries which was over 40 players across all 4 grades. The Committee were also keen to encourage interstate clubs to participate, however, the availability and finalisation of a suitable venue made it difficult to provide sufficient time for our interstate players and clubs to organise the trip to Canberra. Next year we will be more organised!
Since my last update in May, the ACTBA Committee has been undertaken a number of key initiatives including:
- The ACTBA Executive Committee has developed a Business Plan that is available on the website http://badmintonact.org.au/actba-business-plan-for-review-and-feedback/ looking at 6 strategic objectives we plan to focus on over the next couple of years:
- Improving Coaching and Training across Schools and Clubs,
- Enabling broader participation in competitions,
- Improve participation, membership and sponsorship opportunities ,
- Improve the availability of badminton courts across ACT,
- Improve the way ACTBA Committee communicates with key stakeholders and the community, and
- Promote and encourage improving how badminton is played at Club level and in competitions.
- Shuttle Time training (badminton coaching)- as a part of improving coaching and training we plan to hold several Shuttle-Time courses over the next 6 months with a couple of dates to be announced shortly.
- Discussions with ACT Government – We have had several face-to-face and phone meetings with government representatives and plan to work closely with the ACT government to improve school based badminton participation, and discuss the lack of available badminton courts in the ACT.
- Australian Open Badminton tournament was held in June, and with Olympic points on the line the competition level was high. Meanwhile the ACTBA Vice President (Alan) and I had a great opportunity to meet and discuss our issues, ask advice and have a general talk about how we can work together with the committee representatives from other states and territories and the representatives from Badminton Australia who attended. Alan and Robynne will also be representing ACTBA at the Badminton Australia General Annual Meeting in November.
- We have an Inter-School competition on the 21st and 25th of October, wishing the kids all the best enjoying a day of competitive badminton, hopefully more of these kids decide take up the sport more seriously after this taste.
- The CGS Competition in December – ACTBA has agreed to run the CGS competition from 2019, I hope we can keep up the good work of Walter and the crew who have been running this competition for the last few years, and hold another great event this year.
- ACTBA will hold its AGM in the first week of December, where the presidents report will be presented along with nominations and voting on the Executive committee positions for 2020 will be held. We hope you will all make the effort to come along and support ACT Badminton and maybe volunteer to be on the committee next year.
Finally, a few weeks back I advised the ACTBA Committee and Club Representatives that I will not be standing for President (or in any official capacity) next year due to personal commitments here and overseas, however, I am very committed to supporting the incoming Committee to continue the transition to improve badminton for all in the ACT. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss the Presidents role for anyone who is interested in standing next year.
Vikram (President ACTBA)